The Pontiac & Ottawa Valley Writers’ Circle (POVWC) will follow a variety of meeting formats on a rotating basis.
Each meeting will begin with a quick business-type meeting where members get to hear about the group, an update on personal writing goals, upcoming events, relevant writing contests or resources that may be of interest and other items added to the agenda by any member.
- Critique/Reading Night
- Members who have written short fiction pieces and who are seeking feedback or critique would submit their work a minimum of one-week before the scheduled Critique/Reading Night.
- At the meeting, authors of stories or works of fiction/poetry will read the piece they submitted for critique to the group.
- The group will critique, offering constructive and supportive criticisms on the piece.
- Following the critique of pieces that were submitted ahead of time for critique, any other authors are invited to read pieces they would like to have discussed based upon the read aloud version.
- Readings must be written by the member of the group who is reading.
- This is a good way for members to practice reading in public with intonation, reducing fears.
- Readings can be at any stage of development.
- Writing Circle Nights
- At the meeting, the group will be led through a writing exercise that will last approximately 30 minutes.
- Following the writing exercise, everyone will work on personal writing projects for approximately an hour.
- The final 30 minutes of the evening will given to discussion on writing, the exercise or the personal projects each has been working on.
- Tools & Techniques Nights
- Come on out and learn some new tools and techniques at these special nights.
- At these nights, we will discuss various techniques and tools that are necessary to know as a writer trying to make it in the industry.
- For example, some of the subjects would be query letter writing, pitch writing, searching for an agent, writing a synopsis, etc.
- These nights are designed for us to learn and grow as a creative writing community.